Saturday, August 25, 2007

The peril of eating alone in a foodcourt in Singapore

Imagine this: you are alone, trying to grab a quick bite at the foodcourt before heading off to your next appointment (whatever that may be). In the middle of your meal, you get up to get a drink (or a fruit or whatever). That takes no more than 1 minute, but the next thing you know, your food is no longer there!

This is no joke, and has happened to me before, and almost happened to me again this morning. Luckily I was quick enough to yell at the "uncle" to inform him that I wasn't yet done!

Somehow the foodcourts in Singapore seem to have a super-efficient system of clearing tables - when you don't want it cleared! As opposed to when you're waiting for someone to clear vacated table still full of empty dishes...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i have NEVER eaten alone in a foodcourt before... afraid tat wat u encountered will happen... also, it is not easy to find a seat when dining alone becos nobody will "chop" seat for you ... :(

Details: said...

Best is to eat other stuffs after you are done with the current one, then leave the table and go q up for it, safer.

Anonymous said...

The attitude of cleaner's here are atrocious. I once have food snatched off th desk when my friend went to queue. And when I confronted the guy and said "Hey.. we still wanted that." the guy replied "You didn't tell me before!!"

Gosh. He owns the place or what?

And that's in Chomp Chomp.

Anonymous said...

LOL very rarely do I leave my food alone in the food-court, but in the rare few occasions tat I did, the food's always untouched (hopefully the cleaners got some sense) with me passing the quick glances from whenever I am. heh

OD said...

i once bought mee siam, and after eating 2 chopsticks full, found it too spicy and went to get a drink, just after a minute when i came back, the whole almost fresh mee siam was cleared... and the people sitting beside at the same long table just stared at me, like siao lang like that... kenasai.