Saturday, September 08, 2007

My first attempt at Char Kuay Teow

This evening, I suddenly had the urge to try making char kuay teow. I had no recipe, just a packet of fresh kuay teow I bought from the Sheng Shiong supermarket, and some imagination. I sort of had to make do with whatever I had in my fridge, and here's how it turned out:


In case anyone is interested, here's how I did it:
Ingredients:
    a handful of Kuay Teow
    a handful of bean sprouts
    1/2 piece tau kwa
    1/4 an onion
    1/4 yellow bell pepper
    3 stalks spinach
    1 egg (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon chilli black bean paste
    2 teaspoon soy sauce
    oil (sufficient for frying)

- Fry the tau kwa until golden-brown. Set aside.
- Brown the onions, then add bell pepper and bean sprouts.
- Add the tau kwa, and chilli black bean paste and soy sauce.
- Add kuay teow and spinach.
- Make a space in the center of the wok, break the egg in and fry.

Well, it tasted pretty good, but wasn't spicy enough - gotta put more chilli bean paste next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ST Forum

Online Story
Oct 10, 2007
How horrendous? Frogs beheaded in full public view
WHEN I was in Sheng Shiong Supermarket in Jurong West Street 42 the other day, I witnessed the cruel way that the frogs were butchered.
At Sheng Shiong, there is usually a section that sells live and fresh seafood.

As I was walking towards that section, I noticed two men handling frogs.

I walked closer and realised that the first man was taking live frogs from a tub and chopping off its head.

It is understood that such practice is normal as people want to buy and eat the 'fresh' frogs.

But the disturbing thing is that the frogs let out a squeal the moment it was beheaded.

I find it extremely traumatising to see them killed in public view.

Just like pigs are slaughtered in an abattoir, why can't the frogs be slaughtered in private as well?

I hope something can be done about this issue so that the public and young children can be spared this horrendous sight.

Heidi Tan Hui Ping (Miss)