Friday, September 21, 2007

PAM Real Thai

PAM Real Thai is a little eat-in restaurant at the corner of West 49th Street and 9th Avenue in Manhattan. MM did not have too high expectations, but I was raving about it. Cheap, Tasty, and Fast. A triple play!

They have an extensive meat and fish menu for the non-vegetarians and a separate veg menu for the vegetarians. Unlike many restaurants, vegetarians actually have a choice of items instead of the token one or two dishes.

Ok, here is the verdict. We got two dishes.

The first - Tofu and Sprouts.
MM: The sprouts were really good, but the tofu was a bit rubbery. The dish overall was pretty tasty.
Me: This is not a dish that I would typically order. Bean sprouts to me are something that just go over pad thai, not a main dish. But I was pleasantly surprised. The dish was tasty. The tofu was good as well but there was not enough of it. Overall, glad I tried it and something I would order again.

The second dish - Vegetarian Duck in Basil Sauce.
MM: IMHO, the dish was a little over the top. They tried a bit too hard, YKWIM. The veggie duck was pretty good, the capsicum was really good though. The sauce was very heavy, but KM says she likes to drizzle it over rice.
Me: This is my favorite dish at Pam, which I always get. It is very tasty, with garlic, onions and basil. It is a bit saucy but I don't mind that. I usually get it very spicy which kicks it up another notch. A must try for any vegetarian. I could eat this for dinner everyday and for $6 it would not break my bank!

The price of the meal (with one Thai iced tea) and tip was $17. Ok, even I have to admit that is a good deal in NYC.

404 W 49th St.Between 9th and 10th Ave.
212 333 7500
http://www.pamrealthai.com/

1 comment:

Mousey Meowish Yun said...

Hi,

I'm A vegetarian who is doing a research on "is Sinagpore 'vegetarian friendly'? the aim of the research is to create awareness and to promote intergration of vegetarianism in local school canteen and F&B. Hence would like to seek your help in this research by answer some questions. Hope you can help me in this.

You may email to me@ lisameow@hotmail.com. Thank you.